Wallace St, VCU Rowhouse Reimagined

A 96 year old woman who moved to the street in 1924 told us that one block near VCU built by a single developer between 1924 and 1928 was the first block in the “west end” of Richmond (just blocks of Harrison and Cary) where African Americans were allowed to build new homes.  The historic homes are only along the north side of the street because the south side was still pasture land for cattle.  This head to toe renovation included new roofing, all new systems, and a replacement of the original lead water lines. Original hardwood was preserved upstairs while a highly patterned maple was included on the first floor where rotted floor joists required the replacement of flooring.  This project is now home to some of the luckiest renters in the VCU area.